Re: Postgres tracking - the pgtrack project

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres tracking - the pgtrack project
Date: 2006-09-02 16:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Yes, maintaining it will be a royal pain in the butt. But my theory has
> been "if you build it, they will come". It will require a lot of human
> interaction, as automation only takes you so far, especially when trying
> to parse mailing list messages. But if we eventually get a decent-size
> group of people who each put in a little work on it, it should be
> quite possible to keep it up to date. (Also, this would be a great way
> for people to help the project who don't have the time and/or skills
> to do coding).

I think we should start with the wiki and then add in whatever we notice
can be automated. This way we may not initially be able to cover all the
bases, but it will mean that whatever we do automate actually matches
real world requirements.

> The idea is to allow everything to happen as it already does, e.g. no
> extra burdens for Tom, no extra processes anywhere. However, all the
> existing information is gathered into one centralized and searchable place.
> The primary sources will include the code, the docs, and the mailing lists.
> Especially the mailing lists.

Yeah, let the ones work on this that do not do any of the pgsql coding.

regards,
Lukas