Re: Search (was: Web team meeting minutes)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Search (was: Web team meeting minutes)
Date: 2006-07-14 14:53:24
Lists: pgsql-www

> It's just not database driven. So, I withdraw my words :)
> Does web team consider changing web site engine ? I suggest not to use
> home-made engines, since we have no power to support it, we do database
> development, and we don't want to depend on specific person. There are
> big open-source projects with stable, mature community and we could
> just add fts capability we need, for example, to Drupal.

Oleg this has been a huge undertaking to get the site where it is today.
I doubt we will be changing soon, and definately not to Drupal of all
things :)

Drupal is nasty on all kinds of levels under the covers. If we switched
to Drupal we would have to (at a minimum):

1. Insure that it runs with latest PHP (looks like the support 5 but no
mention of 5.1)

2. Completely rework the database schema so it looks like someone who
understands databases actually worked on the product

3. Rip out their search and replace it.

And that is all before we get to work on getting content in there.

Also keep in mind that Drupal's support for PostgreSQL is very limited.

If I sound sour, I apologize... I have been working alot latetely on
getting Drupal to be as cool as the website says.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/