Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-20 08:48:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:36:25AM +0200, Lukas Smith wrote:
>> The improvements to the installer are great, but there simply needs to
>> be a packaged solution that adds more of the things people are very
>> likely to use. From my understanding Bizgres goes in that direction? I
>> just think that whatever highly packaged solution PostgreSQL picks, this
>> should be the download that is pushed at conferences, in articles and
>> books. People with a clue will still know where they can get the clean base.
>
> There is a fantastic packaged solution already:
>
> apt-get install postgresql-8.1 postgresql-contrib-8.1
>
> Voila! Tsearch installed at your fingertips. What else were you
> expecting?

I expect this to be one package and I expect this to be what is pushed
as the default package on all platforms. If someone just sat in an pgsql
talk (or even a talk that mentions pgsql), has read an article, picked
up a book .. this is what he should be downloading and installing.

I do think that the name PostgreSQL has a fair amount of mindshare, but
I do not think that this package needs to be called PostgreSQL
necessarily. The problem with calling it PostgreSQL is that this would
mean moving things into the core distribution which do not belong there.
But expecting the unwashed masses to understand that they need to
install contrib ontop of PostgreSQL is not a good idea.

If PostgreSQL pushes FooSQL as its "packaged solution" at all
opportunities I am sure it would quickly get into the heads of people
and if done in a concerted effort along with the corporate sponsors it
could provide for a huge marketing opportunity and a slew of articles
from the press. But that is a topic for another list.

regards,
Lukas