Re: reindex and copy - deadlock?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Litao Wu <litaowu(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindex and copy - deadlock?
Date: 2004-06-08 17:51:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Litao Wu <litaowu(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I will use gdb next time. What's this right way to
> get info as postgres owner?

$ gdb /path/to/postgres
gdb> attach PID-of-backend-process
gdb> bt
gdb> quit

You might try this for practice on any idle backend; it shouldn't affect
the state of the backend, except for freezing it while you issue the
commands.

If "bt" gives you just a list of numbers and no symbolic information,
then it won't be much help; you'll need to rebuild the backend with
debugging information so that we can make some sense of the trace.