Re: Request Tracker ( RT ) recommends MySQL

From: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Request Tracker ( RT ) recommends MySQL
Date: 2005-09-10 04:19:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>>One of our people did some performance tuning work, and found a number
>>of queries that could be made *spectacularly* faster for PostgreSQL if
>>tweaked to be less MySQL(tm)-specific (I surmise that the same changes
>>would be either helpful or at least not hurtful for Oracle, Informix,
>>and Sybase, though I can't be sure about SQLite).
>>

>Note that the best way to change this situation is for users of RT to
>request these changes. There's no real reason they can't support
>alternative query syntaxes for different databases, other than it's more
>work. If anything, they should make MySQL the exception case, and use
>normal SQL syntax for everyone else. But none of this will change unless
>people using the product (especially those sending them money) request
>it.

I'm the one that Chris mentioned that did the performance tuning on RT.
Best Practical are really good people to work with, but they will only
use code that will work across all databases the support. There was one
query in particular that made really horrible use of OR clauses. I sent
in details on how to rewrite the query using unions, which changed it
query from a "execute your query and go make coffee" type of query to
one that completed in a very reasonable period of time. I was told that
it wasn't an option because MySQL didn't have Unions.

--
Brad Nicholson 416-673-4106