Re: New Contrib Build?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Contrib Build?
Date: 2005-05-11 21:49:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Hey, I can see a way for /contrib to become a lot better option for
>stuff-we're-not-sure-whether-to-include.

First, I *really* wish we'd call it something else. Contrib conveys
"unsupported" to people. Maybe we should call it "modules" or something
like that.

>What if we could build contrib modules through a build-time switch for
>PostgreSQL? Like,
>
>./configure --with-perl --with-dblink --with-newsysviews
>
>This would seem a *lot* more user friendly to me, and easier on the package
>builders. What's the technical obstacle to it?

I honestly don't see that it buys a lot. (and the technical obstacle is
that there's a maintenance cost, if nothing else).

>Also, I think that /contrib modules should have documentation included in the
>main docs, probably as an appendix.

No, not as an appendix, please. Again, that gives the wrong impression.
Let's add another main section on optional modules.

cheers

andrew