New Contrib Build?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New Contrib Build?
Date: 2005-05-11 21:25:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Folks,

Hey, I can see a way for /contrib to become a lot better option for
stuff-we're-not-sure-whether-to-include.

What if we could build contrib modules through a build-time switch for
PostgreSQL? Like,

./configure --with-perl --with-dblink --with-newsysviews

This would seem a *lot* more user friendly to me, and easier on the package
builders. What's the technical obstacle to it?

Also, I think that /contrib modules should have documentation included in the
main docs, probably as an appendix.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus