Re: Moving from Transact SQL to PL/pgSQL

From: Dennis Sacks <dennis(at)illusions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from Transact SQL to PL/pgSQL
Date: 2005-01-25 20:19:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

Kevin Duffy wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am starting a project using Postgres. The requirements are very
> similar to work I have done in the past using M$-SQL. Therefore,
> there are many Transact SQL stored procedures I need to port over to
> PL/pgSQL.
>
> Where would I find documentation on PL/pgSQL, with examples?
>
> How close to Oracle PL-SQL is Postgres? Would a Oracle PL-SQL book
> cover the basics?

Oracle PL-SQL and PL/pgSQL seem very similar. There are definitely
differences however. Most of what you want to know is included in the
PostgreSQL document. I'd recommend reading through the PL/pgSQL chapter
several times before you begin.

_PostgreSQL_ by Douglas and Douglas has a chapter on PL/pgSQL. I'm not
sure what that chapter is like as I don't own this book. It might be
worth looking into.

I don't know of any documents that give hints for porting from TSQL to
PL/pgSQL, but then I've not looked for any. They may exist.

Best of luck,

Dennis Sacks
dennis(at)illusions(dot)com