Re: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: Relation 38868974 does

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Alain M(dot) Gaudrault" <alain(at)reqwireless(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: Relation 38868974 does
Date: 2004-12-15 09:05:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Alain M. Gaudrault wrote:
> I've come across a problem which is only happening intermittently, and
> having a difficult time finding information to help me determine what is
> the source of my frustration.
>
> The symptom is the error reported in the subject. We invoke SQL
> statements from a Java servlet via pg74jdbc3.jar. The relation number
> in the error will be the same for several occurrences, then change.

At a guess, something's OID is being cached - probably that of a
TEMPORARY TABLE. If you have a plpgsql function (or perhaps a PREPAREd
query) that refers to an object and that object is dropped (usually a
temporary table) then you can get errors like this.

Would that make sense in your case?

> My first question is, how do I determine which resource is being
> referred to by '38868974'?

Tricky - because whatever it referred to is gone.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd