Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept
Date: 2004-03-25 11:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>>> (6) possible inclusion in postgresql?
>>> - among other contributions? what about contrib/advisor?
>>> - added to template1 on default installation?
>>> maybe not for a first release? or yes? it is easier to communicate
>>> about
>>

>> I think we're going to want a gborg project for
>> developing/coordinating tests anyway. Having the schema included in
>> contrib/ might help adoption, but so would pgadmin/phpgadmin. Any
>> client-builders reading this? What do you think?
>

> Both phpPgAdmin (me) and the pgAdmin team have added or have thought
> about adding some 'schema analysis' features to our products. If
> pg_advisor is available, I certainly won't bother and I will just
> recommend to people that they install it.
>
> I think it probably should live in userland...

Yeah, this should live in userland.
Maybe this could be implemented as set of some descriptions, which is
interpreted by a standalone tool, or interpreted by the gui tools
available. This way, we could include a set of them into the admin tool
distributions, ensuring a basic set is noticed by the admins (subject to
update from contrib).

Currently, a check for old style fk triggers is hard-coded into pgadmin3
(to detect missing adddepend), because fk triggers are considered
internal and thus suppressed.

There are plans (and basic work) for a FK index tool, which wouldn't be
obsolete if a pg_advisor would detect it because it's intended to have a
checkbox "fix this" in the list of detected fks.

Regards,
Andreas