PHP & PostgreSQL

From: "Boget, Chris" <chris(at)wild(dot)net>
To: "'php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net'" <php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PHP & PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-12-30 10:13:49
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm switching from a MySQL environment to PGSQL and I'm
going through and trying to learn the differences between the
two. I've come across some issues that I can't seem to find the
answers to in the docs or on the web. I'm hoping someone can
help me out.

* MySQL has a function to reset the result set so that it can be
iterated through again - mysql_data_seek(). I don't see that there
is a similar function for PGSQL. Is that true? If so, in order to
reset the result set you have to perform the query again? Isn't
that a waste of resources?

* For PGSQL, you can get the database name, the field name
even the *host name* but you can't get the table name from a
particular query?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Chris