Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium

From: John Gibson <gib(at)edgate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date: 2004-02-09 16:43:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, all.

I need to upgrade my dual Xeon PostgreSQL engine.

Assuming similar memory and disk sub-systems, I am considering a Quad
Xeon system vs. a Dual Itanium for PostgreSQL. I believe that the
PostgreSQL code is written for 32 bit and not optimized for the 64 bit
Itanium cpu. That makes me think that the Xeon system would be a better
choice.

Do any of you have thoughts on:

1. Straight performance capability
2. Price/Performance

I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

...john