Re: Synchronous replication: Admin command for replication_timeout_action

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
Cc: "Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)" <harald(dot)kolb(at)nsn(dot)com>, "Czichy, Thoralf (NSN - FI/Helsinki)" <thoralf(dot)czichy(at)nsn(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication: Admin command for replication_timeout_action
Date: 2009-05-26 02:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:37 AM, K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is to support an admin command or utility which can trigger the
> server to be taken to a standalone mode if there a connection failure
> detection between Primary and server. It need not be always, that the
> replication_timeout needs to be accomplished to detect the connection
> failure because it could happen that cluster/hearbeat framework might
> detect the connection failure earlier to the replication_timeout. So the
> admin command, which will abstract the implementation details will
> assist in taking the server to standalone mode earlier to
> replication_timeout.
>
> Are there any suggestions from your side with respect to this?

Yes. Since walsender is treated as special backend, we can use
pg_terminate_backend() to terminate replication and let the server
standalone. This feature is simple but very useful, so I'll address it
(my previous patch has not provided this completely yet).

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center