Re: Synchronous replication: Admin command for replication_timeout_action

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>, "Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)" <harald(dot)kolb(at)nsn(dot)com>, "Czichy, Thoralf (NSN - FI/Helsinki)" <thoralf(dot)czichy(at)nsn(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication: Admin command for replication_timeout_action
Date: 2009-05-27 08:55:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 11:06 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> Yes. Since walsender is treated as special backend, we can use
> pg_terminate_backend() to terminate replication and let the server
> standalone. This feature is simple but very useful, so I'll address it
> (my previous patch has not provided this completely yet).

I think we need something better than that. We shouldn't be shooting at
pids in a production database: we may get it wrong and take something
else down instead.

We need a graceful termination of replication and an immediate one.
There may be other things we need to add later, so a specific command
will be better and allow us to produce messages like "replication isn't
running" if used inappropriately.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com