Re: Server Problem

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Problem
Date: 2003-12-18 11:13:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>OK, obviously these things are sent to try us :-)

Those glory days, when we made calculations using fingers, stones and
shells....

>The new server hosting the cvs and developer has developed what we can
>only put down to a motherboard fault - basically;
>
>- The system clock is running about twice as fast as it should, no
>matter what I do with ntpd or adjtimex! Bizarrely though the hw clock is
>fine, but I found some posts on the net suggesting there might be a
>phase locked loop problem on the mobo.

Maybe the machine is in a hurry, but to do what?!?

>- APIC errors have started appearing on boot for each CPU :-(
>
>Currently, the system appears stable (it has never crashed), and the
>system clock is being resynced to the hardware clock every 5 minutes so
>if you see any odd timestamps in CVS, that's why!

We should be very careful about that, I've seen some really nasty
problems with version checking systems when timestamps are not precise
(with Visual SourceSafe)

Quite often, I do an update just before committing. THIS SHOULD BE
AVOIDED as long the server's clock might take back steps. Instead, there
should be > 5 minutes of delay after updating (if clock is synced every
5 minutes) . This could prevent some future headache on repository
consistency.

>PS. I think I'm getting the flu so may be offline for a coupla days :-(

Already got one, still fighting to suppress it. BTW, maybe
dev.pgadmin.org caught the double speed virus?!?

Regards,
Andreas