Server Problem

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Mark Yeatman" <myeatman(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Server Problem
Date: 2003-12-17 19:36:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OK, obviously these things are sent to try us :-)

The new server hosting the cvs and developer has developed what we can
only put down to a motherboard fault - basically;

- The system clock is running about twice as fast as it should, no
matter what I do with ntpd or adjtimex! Bizarrely though the hw clock is
fine, but I found some posts on the net suggesting there might be a
phase locked loop problem on the mobo.

- APIC errors have started appearing on boot for each CPU :-(

Currently, the system appears stable (it has never crashed), and the
system clock is being resynced to the hardware clock every 5 minutes so
if you see any odd timestamps in CVS, that's why!

We have two of these boards both of which have had problems (the other
is actually in Germany being repaired at the moment!) - suffice it to
say a replacement will be ordered and fitted ASAP (Intel this time
instead of Gigabyte). Unfortunately we had another one die completely
yesterday (a very old MSI with dodgey electrolytic capacitors) so we
don't have a spare in stock right now.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Regards, Dave.

PS. I think I'm getting the flu so may be offline for a coupla days :-(