Re: 7.3 --> 7.4 C Functions

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3 --> 7.4 C Functions
Date: 2003-12-06 18:55:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> However, all this runs on a 7.3 backend and the priority for changing that is
> less that the recoding in C, if that goes ahead. So, what I'm interested in is
> people's views on how easy it is to port C functions from 7.3 to 7.4. I know
> the elog has changed but that's just a bit of leg work, I presume there is
> nothing significant in how to use SPI and the normal sort of tuple manipulation
> things.

I don't think you'll run into too many issues if your needs are simple.
The only thing that I can think of that you might run into is:

7.3 tuplestore_begin_heap(true, SortMem)
7.4 tuplestore_begin_heap(true, false, SortMem)

And that will only apply if you have an SRF that returns a tuplestore
(contrib/tablefunc as an example). You can continue to use elog in 7.4
-- you just don't get to take advantage of the better ereport functionality.

HTH,

Joe