Re: Windows 2000 Server and PostgreSQL

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Mark Perez <mperez(at)whgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Server and PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-03 20:40:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

Mark Perez wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a very large cutomized program that utilizes PostgreSQL for my Access
>97 databases. My network inferstructure consists of Red Hat, Novell and
>Microsoft. I want to convert my data into Microsoft Server in order to have
>a VPD directly for those who work out of the organization.

Well it's kind of weird porting the other way round...
Actually, most people will want to port from MSSQL to PostgreSQL to get
rid of licenses fees.
What do you mean with VPD? Is it a typo, and you mean VPN? There's no
reason why you shouldn't run PostgreSQL over VPN (IPSEC, PPTP or any
other). Communication is a standard TCP/IP connection, port is
configurable if neccesary (in case you like port 1433 better :-)

> At this time, I
>cannot do this because of security issues with Novell. I would like to keep
>Novell as a file server, but would like to expand my Microsoft Network and
>make it the Primary Domain for VPN.
>
>I want to minimize my network to Microsoft Server 2000/2003, but
>unfortunately I was aware that PostreSQL is not compatible with Microsoft
>Server.

Well, actually MSSQL isn't as compatible to ANSI as every database
should be :-) PostgreSQL is supposed to be the most ANSI compliant
database system on this planet, and it's very flexible in addition. So
it can mimic a lot of stuff that other databases do, and makes it easier
to port from xyzDBMS to PostgreSQL. But there are also many features in
pgsql you won't find in MSSQL.

Anyhow, this mailing list is totally wrong for you, pgadmin is the
maintenance tool for pgsql. But You probably won't find much experience
in pgsql mailing lists for porting from pgsql to other systems...

Regards,
Andreas