Re: Physical Database Configuration

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Physical Database Configuration
Date: 2003-06-25 06:36:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 24 Jun 2003 at 14:48, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> I know the current method for specifying alternate drives for PG tables is
> by using symlinks. I had some ideas for simple ways to do this in PG
> code, but wanted to know if anyone was working on this right now. I'd
> hate to take the time to start messing with this if others were already on
> it.

Well, correct solution is to implement tablespaces on which objects like
databases, tables and indexes can be put.

There was a long discussion on this and there was a tablespaces patch. It was
agreed that tablespace as a set of directories would be a good point to start.

I have no idea what is the status of that effort right now. You can search the
archives or I hope this kicks a fresh discussion..:-)

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am quoting from off my head.. not a trusted
source..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Harriet's Dining Observation: In every restaurant, the hardness of the butter
pats increases in direct proportion to the softness of the bread.