Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Date: 2003-06-25 06:55:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Well, correct solution is to implement tablespaces on which objects like
> databases, tables and indexes can be put.

I have started working on tablespaces (to the extent that I am capable!),
based not on the rejected patch, but on Jim's eventual syntax proposal that
was never developed.

eg.

CREATE LOCATION blah AS '/exports/indexes'

CREATE DATABASE db WITH LOCATION loc;

CREAT TABLE foo (a PRIMARY KEY LOCATION blah) LOCATION blah;

..etc...

> There was a long discussion on this and there was a tablespaces patch. It
was
> agreed that tablespace as a set of directories would be a good point to
start.

If anyone wants to help me (as I've not had time to code on it for a while
due to phpPgAdmin), then they can email
me!

I'm working from a top-down perspective - eg. adding new catalog and grammar
and support functions before mucking about with low level storage...

Chris