Re: Unique constraints

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unique constraints
Date: 2003-05-02 16:14:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>In PostgreSQL 7.2, unique constraints were just indexes. In 7.3 however,
>it knows they are constraints and thus will not allow you to simply drop
>the index.
>
>Should we add an extra object type under pgTable to contain such indexes
>or can anyone think of a better solution?

Maybe we should reorganize the tree like this:

Tables
tableFoo
Columns
col1
col2
col3
Constraints
pk_tableFoo
fk_refToBar
chk_range
unq_col3
idx_one
idx_two_unq_non_constr
Rules
Triggers

I'd like to have less collections under <table>, since most of them have
few members and consume precious screen space.

Regards,
Andreas