Re: [HACKERS] New PostgreSQL Tool available :pg_autotune

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New PostgreSQL Tool available :pg_autotune
Date: 2002-09-26 01:33:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > You should have chosen a better foundation. pg_bench is notorious for
> > producing results that are (a) nonrepeatable and (b) not relevant to
> > a wide variety of situations. All it really tells you about is the
> > efficiency of a large number of updates to a small number of rows.
>
> You might want to try -N option of pgbench. It avoids updates to
> branches and tellers tables.

Cool. Do you feel this will noticeable increase the consistency of the
measurements?

The inconsistency of the internal benchmark results means that
pg_autotune has been using 5-run averages, and using a large tolerance
factor by default. It would be good to improving on that.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --