Sun Pushing MySQL but Mentions PostgreSQL

From: Jim Caley <caley(at)chesco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sun Pushing MySQL but Mentions PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-08-20 19:46:25
Lists: pgsql-general

A while back in the "read this and puke" thread, some were bemoaning
Sun's LAMP initiative, where the 'M' stands for MySQL. I was just
reading about this in eWeek
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,476267,00.asp) and doing a little
bemoaning myself. The article quotes Jonathan Schwartz, Sun's new head
of software, explaining it.

But then I came across an article by InfoWorld's Steve Gillmor
(http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/08/19/020819opcurve.xml)
where the same Jonathan Schwartz says, "We will go drive Linux like a
wedge. We will go hollow out DB2 and WebSphere with either a free
database or a free app server. We can give away the Apache Web server,
Postgres, a free directory, a free messaging system, a free calendar and
free portal, a free infrastructure. All of it for free for 100 users,
and we can still make money. Microsoft can't."

The "Postgres" seems to have been thrown into his little riff casually;
it's not "official" like the MySQL in LAMP. But I thought it was
interesting nonetheless.

Jim Caley