Re: max relations in a single database

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max relations in a single database
Date: 2002-07-22 17:04:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Ralph Graulich wrote:
> As the dumpfile is plain ASCII text, I used vi to edit the names of the
> views by hand. I changed their names to be a good amount below the margin
> of 30 or whatever characters, just using abbreviations.
>
> Then I reimported without any problems.

Did you change NAMEDATALEN? See:
pgsql/src/include/postgres_ext.h

/*
* NAMEDATALEN is the max length for system identifiers (e.g. table
* names, attribute names, function names, etc). It must be a multiple
* of sizeof(int) (typically 4).
*
* NOTE that databases with different NAMEDATALEN's cannot interoperate!
*/
#define NAMEDATALEN 32

If you have not changed this, then your maximum *allowable* table name
(and other identifiers) is 31 characters (allowing for the null
terminator). Could this be related to your problem?

HTH,

Joe