Re: replication questions

From: Darren Johnson <darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com>
To: dneedham(at)pbo(dot)net
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replication questions
Date: 2002-05-02 23:54:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>databases. I am trying to find out more information about how to do automatic
>replication with postgresql.

We did some research on this several months ago, and published the
results here

http://gborg.postgresql.org/genpage?replication_research

> My questions are :
>
> 1) Is this the correct forum to ask this question?

This is probably better suited for general, but its a topic I'm
interested in.

> 2) What is the "recomended" replication solution project?

IMHO, Postres-R has the potential to be great solution, but I'm sure
others have different
needs. ;-)

> 3) How are others doing replication?

If you asking for approaches, I'd say the majority are master/slave
asynchronous
with either triggers or transaction logs.

I would ask what are you trying to solve with replication. Do you want
to be able
update all systems in the replica? How much bandwidth do you have
between the
servers. Do the systems need to be identical at all times? What is
your time frame?

Depending on how you answer questions like these, your "recommendation"
will change.

Good luck,

Darren