Re: A memory leak. Postgres 7.4. Mac OS. X Server

From: Christian van der Leeden <lists(at)logicunited(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PAviles(at)its(dot)co(dot)cr, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A memory leak. Postgres 7.4. Mac OS. X Server
Date: 2004-06-11 09:10:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

I'll try to be more specific, but top doesn't report anything
unusual. Each connection (28 of them) has around 1 MB RPRVT,
101 MB real shared, between 10 and 50 MB Real Size, and
231 MB Virtual Size. These values haven't changed. The postmaster
has 60k Real private, 101MB Real shared, 756 k real size and 230 MB
in Virtual Size.

shared buffers is at shared_buffers = 12500 (100 MB)
sort_mem = 5000
vacuum_mem = 5000

My problem is that I can't pinpoint a process that is constantly paging
out. So any pointers to tools to investigate the problem more would
be very helpful. Any unusual things to look for when running
lsof? Nothing special in the postgres server log.
Settings for shared memory in /etc/rc:
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=268435456
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=65536

The only thing that strikes me as odd, is that each connection has such
a large
virtual size, our backup system is running with shared_buffers of 10 MB
and shows only around 30 MB Virtual size.

Basic problem that the system is paging out and allocating more and
more place
on the disc persists (9 GB, right now and has been up for 3 days).

Maybe I'll try to lower shared buffers...

Christian

P.S.: Running 7.4.2 on OSX 10.3.4 with 4.5 GB RAM.

On Jun 8, 2004, at 6:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Christian van der leeden <lists(at)logicunited(dot)com> writes:
>> this is just a me too message.
>
> Neither one of you has provided any information that would let anyone
> else even guess where to look for the problem :-(
>
> For starters, which process or processes is eating memory? (see top(1))
>
> regards, tom lane

> (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
> majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

Christian van der Leeden
Software Engineering

Attachment Content-Type Size
Christian van der Leeden.vcf text/directory 532 bytes