Re: Postgres User and Password

From: R Talbot <rjtalbo(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: charlie derr <webmindforever(at)organicmeat(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres User and Password
Date: 2001-07-24 23:30:50
Lists: pgsql-general

charlie derr wrote:

> +> Very inconvenient to log in as root then su postgres then back to User
> +> login to
> +> development tools..
> +> How can I fix this problem..
> +>
> +> Thank You
> +> Bob T
> +>
>
> As Justin said, this is really a *nix question. The answer to the specific
> problem you're having (i still recommend you follow Justin's advice about
> using startup scripts) is:
>
> su
> (enter root password)
> passwd postgres
> (enter pw you wish to use for postgres user)
> (enter it again)
>
> voila -- you should now be able to su to the postgres user directly from
> your user (without su-ing to root first)

Charlie

I thank you for following up on an old thread.
I had done just that allowing start up as user from Terminal.
As I had explained I am developing with ...
DB2.. PostgreSQL.. Sybase.. & MySQL..
For this reason I cannot have any RDBMS start at boot.
I must be able to choose the system of the day.
Once I determine the right RDBMS for the project then
I will have one start at boot.

My current impass is deciding among other items
ease of backup and PIT recovery and use of WAL logs.
I want to be able to recovery current work with some grace.
I will post this on a seperate thread.

Thanks

Bob T