Re: Newbe questions: Setting Passwords

From: John Clark Naldoza y Lopez <njclark(at)ntsp(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Anatole Varin <anatole(at)aioros(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbe questions: Setting Passwords
Date: 2001-05-17 05:20:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Anatole Varin wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your advice. I set my password as you advised below, however I'm
> still having some problems connecting. When I try to connect I get the
> following error message:
>
> Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'password='
> is not in 'pg_shadow'
>
> When connecting I'm using username "postgres" and the password that I used
> when I updated the pg_shadow file as suggested. Any ideas???
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > You could use the following...;-)
> >

> > psql -U postgres template1
> >
> > UPDATE pg_shadow SET passwd='whatever' WHERE usename='postgres';

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of this problem before...;-)

Would you mind showing us your exact command, that you tried to execute
to get into your postgresql database? (Maybe a little cut and
paste...;-))

Is your PostgreSQL database part of your server? Or at another
server...

And kindly check this file (I assuming youe got PostgreSQL 7.x)

/var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts.default

If you have a "-i" in this file.

HTH,

Cheers,

John Clark