Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Date: 2001-01-12 03:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> >> I'm unhappy again. Bad enough we accepted a new feature during beta;
> >> now we're going to expect an absolutely virgin contrib module to work
> >> everywhere in order to pass regress tests?

> > Last I checked, two contrib modules had to be built for regression
> > testing.

> Sure, but they've been there awhile. All of my concerns here are
> schedule-driven: do we really want to be wringing out a new contrib
> module, to the point where it will run everywhere, before we can
> release 7.1?

Are the benefits worth the effort? Can the current GiST developers pull
it off in time?

If the answer to either question is not a resounding YES then we really
don't need to go down this road. Either leave it in contrib and
regression testless (with a test script in the contrib), or make it a
feature patch.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio