Navigating time-warps in the CVS tree (was re the rule system)

From: "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Navigating time-warps in the CVS tree (was re the rule system)
Date: 2000-10-20 20:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to recommend that you work from current CVS sources
> or not. A couple weeks ago that's what I would have said, but Vadim is
> halfway through integrating WAL changes and I'm not sure how stable the
> tip really is. You could try the tip, and if it blows up fall back to
> a dated retrieval from about 7-Oct. Or you could investigate the way
> that the 7.0.* rewriter handles the rtable list for multiple queries,
> but that's probably not a real profitable use of your time.
>
> regards, tom lane

Well, I tried the tip of the tree today, and initdb fails to
complete,
so I tried going back to '7 Oct 2000 10:00:00 PST' and it's
better,
but regression tests fail on the rule system. It makes the
server die.
Since rules are what I want, this won't do.

I'm not familiar enough with CVS or your changelog system
well enough
to know a good way to find a time-point that might be stable
enough
for me. How would I find out where I need to be??

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman (805) 650-6274 mailto:kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net
Permanent e-mail forwarder:

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"
-- Alfred North Whitehead