Language dependent fields

From: Volker Krebs <volker(dot)krebs(at)abas(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Language dependent fields
Date: 2000-08-15 08:43:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I want the content of a field to be language dependent.

Therfore we have a Translation table which looks like this:

tln_id tln_lng_id tln_text
---------------------------------
1 de hallo
1 en hello
2 de Herr
2 en Mister

any language dependent fields reference to this table e.g.

table customer

cst_id cst_sometext_tln_id
----------------------------
1000 1

I've created a view to get the text:

CREATE VIEW locale_customer AS
SELECT customer.*, tln_text, tln_lng_id FROM customer,translation
WHERE tln_id=cst_sometext_tln_id;

this works fine for tables with only one language dependent field.
But if I have more than one field I've got a problem.

e.g.

table customer2

cst_id cst_sometext_tln_id cst_sometext2_tln_id
1000 1 2

how can I create a proper view, to get both tln_text fields ??

CREATE VIEW locale_customer2 AS
SELECT customer2.*, tln_text, tln_lng_id FROM customer,translation
WHERE tln_id=cst_sometext_tln_id OR tln_id=cst_sometext2_tln_id;
gives me all tln_text fields, but I can't distinguish between them.

Any help appriciated.

thanks
Volker