Re: Postgresql and programming

From: Ron Peterson <rpeterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
To: "T(dot)J(dot)Farrell" <T(dot)J(dot)Farrell(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql and programming
Date: 2000-06-14 13:47:32
Lists: pgsql-general

If you're only consideration is raw performance of lookups on text
fields, I suppose there might be some measureable performance advantage
in putting everything in one table, but I doubt you'd really notice the
difference. If you *did* do this, what is the significance of the
authorID field?

Normalize, normalize, normalize. Use a relational database for it's
strengths. Don't duplicate data.

"T.J.Farrell" wrote:

> In terms of performance also, is it preferable to desing a database as:
>
> create table articles (
> refarticle text,
> title text,
> authorID integer,