Postgresql and programming

From: "T(dot)J(dot)Farrell" <T(dot)J(dot)Farrell(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql and programming
Date: 2000-06-07 20:22:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

as usual in CS, there can be many ways to do the same thing.
For instance, I can uppercase a string in a function in POstgreSQL or I can
uppercase it before sending the query to the database. I am reading Bruce
Monjian's book right now (page 204, Functions & triggers/triggers), and I am
wondering in terms of performance and speed what way is prefered (option A
or B).

In terms of performance also, is it preferable to desing a database as:

create table articles (
refarticle text,
title text,
authorID integer,
authorname text,
editorID integer,
editorname text,
... etc...
);

OR :

create articles(
refarticle text,
title text,
authorID integer,
editorID integer,
... etc...
);

create table authors(
authorname text,
authorID integer,
...etc...
);

create table editors(
editorID integer,
editorname text,
...etc...
);

as the critical fields that searches will primarily be based on are obvious
here.

TIA.

T.J.

(P.S. some of you might remember design B from biblio.mdb :-) . )