Re: PostgreSQL 7.0 a success

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Gustavo Henrique <gustavoh(at)sysadmin(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-announce <announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.0 a success
Date: 2000-05-25 03:28:39
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Gustavo Henrique wrote:

> First of all,
> Let me say I dont have much experience with postgresql and I've
> done only few tests, so excuse me for any wrong comments i make.
>
> I think the following things should be improved in postgresql now:
>
> - reliability

Have you had real reliability issues or theoretical ones ?

On what version ?

> - Documentation

Could you be more specific ?

What is it you are missing in docs - maybe better organization ?

> Sometimes a table doesnt exist anymore but it's still listed in
> pg_class table, or the opposite,

Does it happen under normal use or must you do some of the dirty
tricks with "flush off" ?

> or you did a physical backup and you wanna
> restore the db, and other things that could be improved and more documented.
>
> Some crashes we tested (like powering down the system while
> running with flush off) were just fatal to some tables,

Yes with "flush off" they are supposed to be fatal.
Flush off is a performance hack for computers with UPSes.

> I also miss something like mysql's isamchk

What does it do ?

> and a better control of the security, with 1 system table
> controlling passwords, hosts allowed and denied, and
> anything for the users of all databases.

Currently this is held in pg_hba.conf mainly due to performance issues.

(IMHO these performance issues would really be an issue under DoS attack
;)

> just my 2 cents......

Thanks!

--------