Re: psql \l error

From: SAKAIDA Masaaki <sakaida(at)psn(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: psql \l error
Date: 2000-05-04 01:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Looking at less generic answers, I suppose that psql could try to use
> > a 7.0-compatible query and fall back to a 6.5-compatible query if that
> > fails. I imagine Peter will class this answer as "too ugly to live" ;-).
>
> Until there is at least a glimpse of error codes I'd say it's "too
> incorrect to live" ...

(Example)

A_server(6.5.3) B_server(7.0)
| |
---+------------+------------+---- network

C_server(7.0) + terminal

* Telnet-login is not permitted in A_server and B_server.
* Telnet-login is permitted in C_server.(We use C_server's psql)

In this case, we can not use \l and \df command for A_server.

Should we use 6.5.3 as a C server?

(If we use 6.5.3-psql, we can not use \df command for B_server, and
we can not display a database-encoding of B_server when \l is used.)

--
Regard,
SAKAIDA Masaaki -- Osaka, Japan