Re: RPMs (was Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL")

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPMs (was Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL")
Date: 1999-08-10 03:31:18
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> I have done some tests on
> the RPM-packaged perl client, with great success.

That's building the client into the distro-specific directories for
perl? Great...

> I am also
> experimenting with my new (3lo) RPM's, which are the first try to
> package the regression tests. Now to see if they run ;-/ As soon as
> the RedHat 5.2 machine (a creaky 486-100 w/16MB) finishes a good build,
> I'll post. Although, I am hitting snags -- the regression tests have
> some strange requirements -- ie, the resulting regress.so in the package
> is built to require /usr/local/bin/perl, and /usr/local/bin/python.....
> Oh well; I'll slog through it.

Keep on patching. It's pretty convenient for stuff like this...

> Now to learn enough python to be dangerous...

Dangerous doesn't take very long. I haven't progressed past that yet,
at least for python (others may suggest other topics too ;)

I was just rebuilding the plain RPMs to include the .a forms of the
libraries, and noticed problems with:

1) naming the programming language shared libraries (not libpltcl.so
but pltcl.so, etc)

2) finding bin/pgaccess/README.pga (it is obsolete)
2a) bin/pgaccess/README should be included in the pgaccess docs target

Here is the spec file for you to compare to previous versions; perhaps
you can forward your spec file so I don't have to download an entire
-src.rpm to start scoping it out?

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-6.5.1.spec text/plain 14.0 KB