Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)

From: lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)
Date: 1999-08-10 03:19:47
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> I'll bet that even the coiners of the term have some differences in
> their pronunciation. For the record, I use "Postgres" usually, and
> "Postgres-cue-ell" when forced...

> Since we cap the "S", however you pronounce "SQL" should probably be
> how you do the end of "PostgreSQL". Lamar, are you a "ess-quel"
> person? That may be a regional dialect.

Only in postgressive context (ouch...)

I have been known to say 'squel' (as opposed to ess-quel....). If I
could just inflect my Southern Drawl in text.... And I have said ess cue
ell (not very often...)... Oh well. Minor points. I think it goes back
to my Z80 days, where I'd pronounce the machine code -- it sounds real
strange to say "sidbateotwo" to mean CD B8 02 (CALL x'02B8' in Z80
assembler), but I have actually done that. Just a little game that a
friend and I would play.

Incidentally, radically changing the subject, I have done some tests on
the RPM-packaged perl client, with great success. I am also
experimenting with my new (3lo) RPM's, which are the first try to
package the regression tests. Now to see if they run ;-/ As soon as
the RedHat 5.2 machine (a creaky 486-100 w/16MB) finishes a good build,
I'll post. Although, I am hitting snags -- the regression tests have
some strange requirements -- ie, the resulting regress.so in the package
is built to require /usr/local/bin/perl, and /usr/local/bin/python.....
Oh well; I'll slog through it.

Now to learn enough python to be dangerous...

Lamar