Re: [HACKERS] JDBC problem in the docs

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Docs List <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] JDBC problem in the docs
Date: 1999-05-25 13:27:43
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> I'm being asked the same question every so often, about the following
> line:
> Class.forName(postgresql.Driver);
> People are asking why this isn't working. Obviously there should be quotes
> in there, and I'm thinking that they are missing from the docs.
> Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

golem> grep -i Class.forName *.sgml
jdbc.sgml:Class.forName() method. For
<application>Postgres</application>, you would use:
jdbc.sgml:Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

And from the generated html:

<snip>
In the first method, your code implicitly loads the driver using the
Class.forName() method. For Postgres, you would use:

Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
</snip>

Not sure if it could be mentioned somewhere else? Or maybe we can make
a general statement about how well people using Java follow directions
:)

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California