Re: [HACKERS] Heads up: does RULES regress test still work for you?

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Heads up: does RULES regress test still work for you?
Date: 1999-05-25 13:47:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This is so weird, I can't even explain it.

I can reproduce it - yes totally weird :-)

Can only guess where the problem might be, because I'm not
familiar with inheritance and the underlying code. I think
it's the fact that after rewriting the wrong RTE (that one of
the view z which isn't referenced any more) is marked 'inh
true'.

Seems that the inheritance is resolved AFTER the rewriting
somewhere in the planner. If that's true, inheriting of views
might become a very tricky (maybe impossible) thing at all.
How could someone inherit a join? Which RTE's of a view
should be marked 'inh true' then?

> > Does the following indicate a bug? It sure is wierd. Maybe some of these
> > statements aren't supported by postgresql (??), but the outcome doesn't
> > make sense to me.
> >
> > httpd=> CREATE TABLE x (y text);
> > CREATE
> > httpd=> CREATE VIEW z AS select * from x;
> > CREATE
> > httpd=> CREATE TABLE a (b text) INHERITS(z);
> > CREATE
> > httpd=> INSERT INTO x VALUES ('foo');
> > INSERT 168602 1
> > httpd=> select * from z*;
> > ---
> > foo
> > foo
> > (2 rows)
> >
> > How did we suddenly get two rows??
> >
> > --
> > Chris Bitmead
> > http://www.bigfoot.com/~chris.bitmead
> > mailto:chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com
> >

> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #