Re: postgresql clustering

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rafik Salama <rafikamir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql clustering
Date: 2005-09-21 18:22:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In the past couple years I've worked on several personal/business projects
to cluster PostgreSQL and InnoDB (without MySQL). I've tested
shared-nothing, shared-memory, and shared-disk models. IMHO, shared-disk is
the only viable option for performance and/or large production business
environments. Using shared-memory or shared-nothing architectures in a
database are fine for high-availability, but are expensive from a
business-case for added performance. I'd be happy to share any of my
clustering knowledge with ya offline. Have fun!

On 9/21/05, Rafik Salama <rafikamir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> No I do not have a case study, I just read so, but what I am suggesting to
> start doing is that if there is no cluster implementation to give high
> availability of the database, I will start doing this project through the
> message passing technique and I already have in the university a cluster
> of
> 19 machine intel xeon, you can see it in this URL
> http://www.cs.aucegypt.edu/~cluster
>
> But any way I was just asking so as not to reinvent the Wheel, in case
> there
> is something like that, but since there is not, I will give it a try, at
> the
> end of the day it is open source and I can do anything and if it happens
> work, who knows!!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Rafik Salama
> Systems Architect
>
> CIT Global
> CIT Building, Free Zone
> Nasr City,
> P.O.Box 11816, Cairo, Egypt
> Tel : +202 271 8794 (ext. 115)
> Fax : +202 2748335
> Cell: +2010 5410035
> http://www.citglobal.com

Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/