Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: eric(at)broken(dot)net
Cc: "PGSQL-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres
Date: 1999-03-25 19:27:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Eric -
I've redirected your question to the general list, since it seems to fit
in there better than the sql list. I think you're confusing mySQL's
limitations with those of PostgreSQL (PG from here on) - PG does in fact
support views, has for quite a while. They're even updateable. With each
release, more and more of the SQL92 function set is implemented, and
what's not can usually be worked around. I'm new to all this DB stuff,
myself, but I haven't bumped up against limitations of the
implementation yet - I hit the limits of my knowledge first!

As to mySQL, I've never used it, but I understand it's a very fast, but
limited, subset of SQL. The biggest drawback I see referenced is the
lack of transaction support.

My 2 cents,

Ross

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer