Re: [HACKERS] ltree::text not immutable?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Van Dyk <joe(at)tanga(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ltree::text not immutable?
Date: 2014-11-06 22:13:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/5/14, 7:38 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I don't understand why you went to all the trouble of building a
>> versioning system for extensions if you're not going to use it.

> I was about to dismiss this comment since I don't see any real need for a version bump here, except that AFAIK there's no way to upgrade an extension without bumping the version, other than resorting to hackery.

Well, the one or two users who actually care can fix the problem with a
manual ALTER FUNCTION. I'm not sure it's worth making everyone else
jump through update hoops. If it hadn't taken us years to even notice
the issue, I might be more willing to expend work here, but I really
doubt the audience is larger than one or two people ...