Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Date: 2005-10-13 17:00:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

<snip>

> >Instance Manager: Uniquely MySQL. It allows things like starting and
> >stopping the database remotely.
> >

> I cannot think of a reason ever to need this when we have OpenSSH....
> <snip>

I'm just curious, but how does this work for a windows box?

> >Federated Storage Engine: Allows MySQL to access tables in other
> >servers like they are here. No real direct equivalent in PostgreSQL,
> >but dblink provides similar functionality.
> >

> DBI-Link also has a wider range of functionality and can access tables
> on MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. servers.
> <snip>

If I had just one wish for postgresql it would be to support cross-database
queries like Oracle. This is a HUGE pain in the ass, and DBI-Link syntax is
clunky as hell.

I would switch to Oracle tomorrow if I had the budget just because of this
feature. I have data across four and five databases that are related, and I
need to build cross database views, and do data munging _easily_, DBI link
is far from easy, and I suspect that it's performance is far from stellar,
but I've not actualy benched it. For me this needs to be a core database
feature. I have certain legal problems that are also an issue where I have
to keep data that is related in seperate databases, and my clients _want_ me
to cross join it for select purposes, but I'm legaly required to keep it in
a seperate database.

Maybe it's just difference shock - Postgresql<>Oracle so I'm scared ;), but
I don't like dblink very much ;)

<snip>

Alex Turner
NetEconomist