Re: Hosting Service Recommendations

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Kratz <chris(dot)kratz(at)vistashare(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hosting Service Recommendations
Date: 2005-04-25 15:04:27
Lists: pgsql-general

I have found that even the larger hosting companies such as Rackspace
are pretty clueless when trying to configure even a mid size database
server. They gave us a 4 drive raid 5 even after being explicitly
asked for a RAID 10. They also put the controller in write through
cache mode. Pretty bad config - the server blew chunks, our single
drive ATA cheapo box ran significantly faster.

I would definatley suggest looking at co-lo.

Alex Turner
netEconomist