Re: server permissions for sql copy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server permissions for sql copy
Date: 2000-12-01 15:32:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on Caldera eDesktop 2.4.
> when I try to use the SQL COPY command in psql, I get
> an error message informing me that the backend could
> not open the file for reading. I think the error
> number was 13 - Permission denied. I changed the
> permissions of the directory and file to
> world-readable; but I still get the same error
> message.

What about the directories above the one containing the file?

Also, don't forget that the critical permission for a directory
is execute (= "allow lookup of entries"), not read (= "make a
directory listing"). You probably want permissions rwxr-xr-x
or rwxrwxr-x on directories that need to be publicly readable.