Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Date: 2003-11-10 20:49:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
Folks,

PLEASE run your response by the list before sending it to them. The
MySQL
vs. PostgreSQL issue is a hot topic and we really don't want to make a
bad
impression on people outside our community.
<snip>

Agreed. Not only is it unprofessional, slamming other projects wastes
time and contributes to putting the entire open source community in a
bad light. I've always advocated that open source success stories are
not zero-sum: what is good for mysql is not necessarily bad for
postgres. In fact, it would be an interesting study to see how many
postgres users started out with mysql then 'grew' into postgres as their
needs and abilities rose. Remember who the real enemy is (hint: not
mysql). The mysql folks are just trying to make a little cash and as
long as they don't hit below the belt they are ok by me.

For the would be 'advocater', when advocating any point in a debate it
is always good to present the opposing side in an argument. In other
words, argue with yourself, then win :)...this helps negate the
appearance of bias which will make arguments more effective. It also
greatly raises the informational value of an argument to present it in a
compare/contrast format, especially with technical merits mixed in.

Merlin