Re: Re: pg_dump and LOs (another proposal)

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: pg_dump and LOs (another proposal)
Date: 2000-07-07 08:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 09:30 7/07/00 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

>> P.S. I have only half-written the lo dumping code, so this is all quite
>> open...
>
> A "blasphemy" question, is really needful LO dump if we will have TOAST and
>LO will lonely past? If anyone still need dump LO (for example I) is
possible
>use pg_dumplo from contrib tree, that (as some users say) works very well.
>Not is work on LO dump, after several years and during LO funeral loss of
>time? (sorry).

There are three reasons why I continue:

1. To learn

2. Because I believe that BLOBs will exist after TOAST, although the
implementation will have changed. The code to handle the current format
will be at least 70% reusable (assuming a similar set of
lo_open/read/write/close calls).

3. We will need a way of exporting old BLOBs and importing them as TOAST
BLOBs.

I could be wrong about (2), but I think binary data can not be easily
loaded from a pure text file, and (3) could ultimately be handled by
pg_dump_lo, but I like the idea of an integrated tool.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \