Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Ben Adida <ben(at)openforce(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Date: 2000-08-21 13:59:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:22 PM 8/20/00 -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>If you all don't mind, I think it'd be great to keep this discussion on the
>list. As some of you know, Great Bridge is working on its own project
>hosting site (including a PG-backed bug tracking module). We're not quite
>ready to pull back the curtain yet, but are getting close, and will be
>actively soliciting input (and hacks) from the community.

So - again - why roll your own instead of build upon a base which at least
is already seeing some use, by some fairly large organizations (arsDigita
is larger and more deeply funded than Great Bridge, making profits to boot,
and I won't even start talking about AOL)? arsDigita is putting some
developer
effort into the SDM, so it's no longer just Ben and whoever he can rope into
helping out.

Couldn't you guys more profitably spend time, say, working on outer joins
rather than doing something like this?

The folks working on the SDM have a LOT more web/db development experience
than whoever's rolling your bug tracking system.

I keep sniffing the odor of NIH ...

http://donb.photo.net.