Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...
Date: 2000-02-05 04:38:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 02:36 PM 2/5/00 +1100, Chris wrote:

>*) The overhead for non-inheritance has
>been cut down to 30 microseconds (on a pc).

What kind of PC? I'm getting 4,000 microseconds doing
simple selects on a classic P200 (no L2 cache) through
AOLserver and Tcl scripts, which probably means more like
2,000 microseconds for PG alone. But without knowing your
PC, I have no way to scale. For instance, my P500e that
I just built gets between 3-6x performance over my P200.

What's an acceptable level for overhead? I have no personal
desire to eat any overhead, in all honesty. 2000/30 < 1%
but without knowledge of the actual PC platform (which certainly
you must know vary widely in performance) I have no way to
scale. If your PC platform is closer to my P500e than my
(classic) P200 (not pro, no L2 cache) then the overhead is
more like 2-3%. That's measurable.

And if SQL92 compliance is the goal, why must ANY degradation
of performance be acceptable unless there are very, very strong
reasons to do so (reasons that impact the target audience).

http://donb.photo.net.