Re: BUG #4838: Database corruption after btree_gin index creation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniele Bortoluzzi <bortoluz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4838: Database corruption after btree_gin index creation
Date: 2009-06-10 13:51:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Daniele Bortoluzzi <bortoluz(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If I cannot reproduce the error, what is the best way to catch the
> stack trace? Do I have to recompile with --enable-debug?

Yes, that would be the best thing. If you are using gcc there is no
harm in using --enable-debug all the time; it just makes the executable
files a bit bigger, there's no performance change.

Make sure the postmaster is started with "ulimit -c unlimited", else
the crash might not drop a core file. The core file will normally
appear in $PGDATA, but sometimes in a system-dependent special place
such as /cores/.

Once you've got a core file, do

$ gdb /path/to/postgres-executable /path/to/core-file
gdb> bt
... stack trace ...
gdb> quit

and send the whole output of gdb.